I had a sobering realization the other day. I have been a full-time professional photographer since December of 2013. Prior to that, I sat at a desk for eight hours a day working for someone else, running my side gig after hours and on the weekends. And for those eight hours, nearly all I could think about was getting the heck away from my desk so I could run my side gig.
I envied all the entrepreneurs who were free from nine to five to run their businesses all on their own without the interruption of having to have a traditional job. I wanted so badly to be able to attend all the daytime events that were happening in my industry that my job prevented me from showing up to. I dreamt of having the freedom and the flexibility to attend daytime networking events with other industry professionals.
Yet, after actually going full-time, I somehow lost sight of that. I got stuck in a mindset of sitting at my home office desk day in and day out and trying to build my business from there. I subconsciously deduced that if I sat at my desk long enough, I could grow my business from my keyboard. Luckily, late last year, I reminded myself that it is absolutely necessary for me to get out and shake hands, meet people, and make connections if I want my business to grow in the direction that I have planned. And that is what is in the plans for this year.
Some of the things I have planned for this year are usual staples in my annual plans, some of the things (marked by an asterisk) are brand new to me!
So what are my specific plans to get away from the desk?
What’s up for 2019?
- January Shows and Open Houses
- *The Wedding Fair: Though I have wanted to do this show in the past and even went so far as to fill out their contact form, I have never been a part of it. This will be my very first time participating in a show of this magnitude. They say this is San Antonio’s best bridal show and I am soooo excited! FYI, it’s this Sunday, January 6, at the JW Marriott from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. You can visit me in booth #232.
- Gardens of Old Town Helotes Open House-Later this month in Helotes, I’ll be at GOTH. This venue is famous for it’s beautiful lawns and outdoor wooden dance floor. I’ll be here January 19, from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- *Hill Country Wedding Show-And, your last chance to catch me in person will be January 27 at Reneau Farms during the first ever Hill Country Wedding Show. This will be a chance to attend a first-of-its-kind wedding show… a completely interactive show where you’ll be allowed access behind the scenes. We’ll be live from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- WPPI Conference
- At the end of February, I’ll be attending the sixth consecutive largest show for professional, amateur and emerging wedding and portrait photographers and filmmakers from all over the world for conference, content and business building interaction. This is always a highlight of my educational year. I have a full two days of live image competition and four days of classes scheduled. I can’t wait for this event!
- WPPI Associate Photographer Designation
- I’m 3/5 on my way there and hoping to secure my last two points to achieve this designation this year. It’s no easy feat, but I’m optimistic I’ll be able to make it. I can’t officially mark this with an asterisk, because I don’t know if it will happen, but I hope this happens!
- *Two Mann Studio Workshop: Metanoia
- THIS workshop has been on by photography bucket list for a number years… actually ever since listening to Erica and Lanny in a platform class at WPPI four years ago. I am extremely elated that I managed to be one of 12 students to get into their Atlanta workshop! I can’t wait for September to get here to learn from this amazing wedding photographer team who are raising the bar to incredible new heights! I am so excited to discover what I’ll be learning from them and can hardly even wait. I don’t want to rush 2019, but September, please get here quickly.
- Studio Completion
- Late in 2017, I started an 800 s. f. home studio. It’s still not even 50% complete, but hoping that changes by the end of this year. Also hoping that I can mark this with an asterisk so it can be something new.
- *STEP South Texas Event Professionals-This is a new organization that I am a founding member of. We are a different kind of industry organization in that our primary reason for being is to educate brides about the intricacies about planning their wedding before they start to make bad choices and mistakes that cost them time and/or money. We plan to host multiple Wedding Academies throughout the year in the San Antonio area.
- *ILEA International Live Events Association (San Antonio Chapter)-This organization is not only one that promotes education in the events industry, but one that also promotes networking and volunteering in your local community. I’m excited to work with all the individuals who are members!
- *NBWC New Braunfels Wedding Chamber-This is the first actual chamber that I’ve ever been a member of. I’m excited to see how this organization and its members can elevate the local wedding industry and work together to help everyone’s business. It’s in the infancy stages of growing, but I’m super optimistic.
So the bottom line is, I’m getting AWAY from my desk more often. I’m meeting NEW PEOPLE more often. I’m getting out of my COMFORT ZONE more often. I’m no longer being a complacent business owner. I’m taking more control. I’m taking action.
If you enjoyed this blog post and would like to get your hands on 20 FREE interactive wedding planning tools that every couple needs, please take a moment to access them here.
Let’s hangout! I wanna hear about your love story!Schedule a virtual or in-person discovery meetup!
For more options, visit my “Let’s Connect” page.
I am San Antonio’s most unique wedding photographer. I specialize in a 10-day image delivery, same-day prints, same-day slideshows, Italian handcrafted wedding albums and I have a mobile meeting space.
I am a full-time, internationally-awarded and WPPI-C certified professional wedding and senior photographer based in South Texas near San Antonio. I offer a premier and personal service coupled with an unforgettable photography experience. I cater to clients who appreciate quality photography and help them to create family heirlooms that will last for generations.
I started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. I enjoy documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I love being a part of people’s journey and consider myself privileged to document their legacies.
When I’m not photographing a wedding, family or high school senior, I love to spend my spare time hiking, camping, cycling, reading, listening to Elvis and Prince. The most important things in life are for me to see my two daughters happy and to create a family history my grandparents and grandson would be proud of!
The post, What’s up for 2019?, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co.’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.