Wedding day first looks, or reveals, have steadily been getting more popular over the last few years. About half of today’s brides are still choosing the big reveal moment to be when they come walking down the aisle. However, the other half are opting to have a non-traditional first look. A wedding day first look is an opportunity for the bride and groom to see each other prior to the wedding ceremony. It’s usually a very private and romantic photo session that the bride and groom have together. It’s a great opportunity to create some intimate images.
Here are a few positive reasons to have a first look:
- You’re not a traditional couple.
- There’s better lighting earlier in the day.
- It calms your nerves prior to ceremony.
- Hair and make-up will never look better than right after it is done.
- What if you cry during the ceremony?
- This allows you to virtually photograph all the formals before the wedding.
- Formal photographs are less stressful.
- More time allows for more creativity.
- Guests are not present and therefore, unable to interrupt by congratulating you.
- Since guests won’t be taking photos over the photographer’s shoulder, you’ll know which camera to look at.
- It saves time between ceremony and reception.
- This creates more time to spend with guests during the reception.
None of the brides I have shot on wedding days have opted for a wedding day first look yet, and that’s fine. But, I have to admit that it does make the formals after the ceremony very stressful. You just feel so rushed knowing that all the wedding guests are waiting on the wedding party to arrive. Many times, the guests are watching all of this unfold and have their own cameras out ready to grab some images. The wedding party doesn’t know where to look, and when I still relied on Nikon’s CLS (creative lighting system), I even had guests misfire my flash units. I will confess that I do look forward to shooting a first look, but until then, I will plug away with tradition.
I am a San Antonio-based wedding and senior photographer who started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. As one of the up-and-coming San Antonio wedding photographers, I am also available to shoot in Austin, Houston and Dallas and the surrounding areas. I am also available for destination weddings worldwide. Ata-Girl Photography Co. offers an amazing wedding photography service that you won’t soon forget. As a professional photographer, my sole purpose is to provide you the absolute best photography experience.
I am a professional photographer who enjoys documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. When I’m not photographing a wedding, family or high school senior, I enjoy watching my daughter play softball, hiking, cycling, reading, and listening to Elvis!
The post, Is a First Look for You?, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.