This past year, I did something very different in my business. I took to reading books… mostly business-related or self-help books. I read 32 books—32 more than I’ve read in the last several years combined. In fact, I had been trying to finish the Game of Thrones series for about the last three years… okay… it is something like five combined books and 4,760 pages, but still I hadn’t made it past page 558 of the first book. Although I do enjoy it, reading has never really been one of the things I am good at. My mind tends to roam a lot and then I find myself having to re-read pages because I didn’t actually process any of the words that just went through my head.
I was convinced to get an Audible account from a past client and friend and it was a great decision. Listening to books, rather than making dedicated time to read them meant that I could read while driving, drifting off to sleep, editing photos and soaking in the tub. My Audible account made it completely possible to consume 32 books this year.
Some of the books were sooo good that I bought copies for friends and industry colleagues that I thought would enjoy! Some of the books were soooo good that I bought physical copies for myself to make notes in and to revisit the pages often. And some of the books were sooo good that I’ve listened to three and four more times and plan to listen to again and again.
My stand out favorites were Jen Sincero’s motivational books (and not just because she references Prince in one of her books)! I love her no-nonsense, story-telling ability and how I can relate to nearly everything she says. She is funny, wise and likes to throw out the eff bomb every now and then. She’s my kind of girl.
The Books I Read in 2018
- An Abundant Life: Naturally Attract Blessings and Develop a Deep Appreciation for Positive Energy with Hypnosis Through Subliminal Night Affirmations
- The Big Store: Inside the Crisis and Revolution at Sears
- The Christmas Hirelings
Mary Elizabeth Braddon
- Manifest Your Millions!: A Lottery Winner Shares his Law of Attraction Secrets
- Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life
- Think and Grow Rich
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
- You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
- Wallace D. Wattles Trilogy: The Science of Getting Rich, The Science of Being Well, and The Science of Being Great
Wallace D. Wattles
- The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
- Feeding the Dragon
- The Coming Storm
- Maximum Confidence: 10 Steps to Extreme Self-Esteem
- Talk to Anyone: Tips for Socializing & Developing Charisma
Chris Widener, Brad Worthley, Dr. Larry Iverson, James Malinchak, Lorraine Howell, Colette Carlson, Gene Hildabrand, Tony Alessandra
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
- Abundance Now: Amplify Your Life & Achieve Prosperity Today
Lisa Nichols, Janet Switzer
- Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
- Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur
Cara Alwill Leyba
- The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear into Faith
- The Aladdin Factor: How to Ask for and Get What You Want in Every Area of Your Life
Mark Victor Hansen, Jack Canfield
- Kick Ass with Mel Robbins: Life-Changing Advice from the Author of “The 5 Second Rule”
- The Secret
- The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand Out From The Crowd
- Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy…Create a Mass of Raving Fans…and Take Any Business to the Next Level
- Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence-and How You Can, Too
- Be The Ultimate Entrepreneur with Hypnosis – in Under an Hour
- Exactly What to Say: The Magic Words for Influence and Impact
Phil M. Jones
- Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
What books did you read this year that changed your life? Inspired you to make a great change? Improved your quality of life in some way? Made your business better?
If you enjoyed this blog post and would like to get your hands on 20 FREE interactive wedding planning tools that every couple needs, please take a moment to access them here.
Let’s “hangout!” I wanna hear about your love story!Schedule a virtual discovery meetup!
For more options, visit my “Let’s Connect” page.
I am San Antonio’s most unique wedding photographer. I specialize in a 10-day image delivery, same-day prints, same-day slideshows, Italian handcrafted wedding albums and I have a mobile meeting space.
I am a full-time, internationally-awarded and WPPI-C certified professional wedding photographer based in South Texas near San Antonio. I offer a premier and personal service coupled with an unforgettable photography experience. I cater to clients who appreciate quality photography and help them to create family heirlooms that will last for generations.
I started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. I enjoy documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I love being a part of people’s journey and consider myself privileged to document their legacies.
When I’m not photographing a wedding, I love to spend my spare time hiking, camping, cycling, reading, listening to Elvis and Prince. The most important things in life are for me to see my two daughters happy and to create a family history my grandparents and grandson would be proud of!
The post, The Books I Read in 2018, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co.’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.