In an effort to blog more regularly, I’m going to start an article that I plan to write at least twice a month beginning today. I’m pulling inspiration from a very successful photographer’s blog in which she periodically writes about “Kisses & Disses” (www.jasminestarblog.com). The concept is to list a few things that I have found helpful, positive, or important AND a few things that I have found bothersome, annoying or just plain wrong during the recent past. I’ll always start with the Shame and end with the Fame so I can end on a positive note. So, with the introduction out of the way, here goes…
- Negativity: Within the online photography community, there has been a recent trend to publicly criticize other photographers’ work. A few weeks ago, I made a conscious decision to not allow myself to do this… ever. I know that my skills are not perfect and I know I have room for growth and improvement. I also know where I started (eek!). There is no tolerance for publicly and hatefully criticizing someone’s work in a mean-spirited way. (Constructive criticism is always welcome.)
- Car Detailing: I’m usually pretty anal about the cleanliness of my vehicle-both inside and out. I have been known to use use Q-tips to clean in very small cracks and I have even removed permanent cosmetic fixtures just to be able to clean behind them. However, I really have not given my truck a thorough cleaning since the beginning of last summer. I’m ashamed. My truck is a mess. Please don’t write “Please wash me” on it if you see me around town.
- Not Being Able to Take Pictures: Because my
babyNikon D7000 has been sickin the shop since early-January, I haven’t been able to take any pictures. Basketball season is pretty much shot and for that, I’m sorry I have been unable to document your athletes’ achievements and milestones this season. HOPEFULLY, <cross fingers> those darn parts will finally arrive from Japan or Taiwan or Mars, and Nikon will return my camera so that I’ll be rockin’ for the rest of the spring sports’ seasons.
- BorrowLenses.com: Because I have a work-related photo shoot this coming Monday, I got to rent a D7000 for the job. I’ll be getting to shoot some long-time professional endorsees for our company AND a brand new (top secret) endorsee. So, even though I haven’t been able to hold my own camera in my hands since the end of December, I’ll be getting a small dose of Nikon bliss over the next seven days. 🙂 The rental process at this California-based company was painless. I highly recommend them for any photography-related rentals. (www.borrowlenses.com)
- Kamikaze Cycling Class: One of the goals I set for 2012 was to get rid of the 17 pounds I have allowed to find its way back to my body. Each Thursday at The Gym (www.nessasgym.com), there is a special 45-minute cycling/spin class. The AC and big fans are not turned on during this special 45-minute
torturechallenge. Two small ceiling fans are turned on low during the class to help circulate all the hot air in the room. Last night’s class was awesome-so awesome in fact, when I woke up at 4:30 this morning to get ready for the 5:00 a.m. class, I could not convince myself that I needed another dose of anything resembling yesterday’s session within a 12-hour window. (Note to self: Sit under the small ceiling fan at the next kamikaze class.)
- Nike™: Last week, I bought some new Nikes and I love them. They are so light and bright and I swear, energizing. And, they have polka dots (not visible in this picture). When they are on my feet, I feet more fit. I feel lighter. I feel more athletic. I feel inspired. I feel amazing. I love my new Nikes. I’m convinced they have magical workout powers.
That’s it for the first installment of the Fame & Shame. I hope you enjoyed it and I’ll be on the lookout for the topics of the next installment. Until next time, be positive, be happy, be healthy, and don’t forget to be photographed.
I am a San Antonio-based wedding and senior photographer who started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. As one of the up-and-coming San Antonio wedding photographers, I am also available to shoot in Austin, Houston and Dallas and the surrounding areas. I am also available for destination weddings worldwide. Ata-Girl Photography Co. offers an amazing wedding photography service that you won’t soon forget. As professional photographer, my sole purpose is to provide you the absolute best photography experience.
I am a professional photographer who enjoys documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. When I’m not photographing a wedding, family or high school senior, I enjoy watching my daughter play softball, hiking, cycling, reading, and listening to Elvis!
The post, Fame & Shame (1st Installment), first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.