In addition to catapulting photography skills and an amazing portfolio of images, here is a short list of traits that I think are necessary for a wedding photographer to have… especially since I have them!
Not necessarily in order of importance… wedding photographer traits you should look for are:
- OCDness! In my younger days, I organized the canned goods in my kitchen pantry alphabetically. In grade school, I manned a library from my bedroom closet—a cramped six square feet with shelves to the ceiling. I even made my brother and sister maintain their membership cards and had a strict policy for returning books on time. I have systems for maintaining my systems.
- Flexibility! So what if you filled out the timeline worksheet 60 days before your wedding, something is bound to go helter skelter. Make sure your photographer won’t flip out, or even worse, walk out because of a tiny glitch that violates the terms of the agreement.
- Personality! Ensure your wedding photographer fits in! Make sure it is someone who you like and trust and feel comfortable with. If you don’t already actually know them, get to know them by following their social network posts and reading their personal blog entries. If you like what you read, arrange for a consultation. If you don’t like your wedding photographer, you’ll likely feel the same way about your wedding images.
- Soft Heart! If you want a photographer who will be capable of capturing those images that will melt your heart, ensure your photographer has a heart… a very soft heart. Otherwise, they might not even know what a tear-inducing, time-stopping, story-telling, heart-melting moment is.
- Appreciation! Make sure your photographer appreciates the fact that you’re doing business with them. Don’t be taken for granted. Make sure you’re treated like the only wedding couple in town. Attentiveness and helpfulness go a long way!
- Manners! Your photographer is likely to converse with your guests, make sure their behavior won’t embarrass you! You’d die if Aunt Nadine recounted how she was elbowed out of the way by your photographer.
- Vision! Make sure your photographer can craft an image and is not just a warm body with a camera. Photography is an art form, make sure your wedding photographer is an artiste!
- Professionalism! You don’t want a photographer who is going to be late, or worse, not even show up. Check references and testimonials and make sure your wedding photographer runs their business in a highly professional manner.
- Ego! By virture of being an arist, every photographer has an ego. Just make sure your wedding photographer is able to check that at the door and keep it in its place. It’s not cool if someone has an inflated sense of worth or self-importance.
- Marine Mentality! When I was in the Army, I was repeatedly told I should have joined the Marines instead. The unofficial motto for the Marines is to, “Improvise, adapt and overcome!” You need a wedding photographer will this mentality because stuff will happen!
**Special thanks to my niece, Karley, for capturing this image of me. Karley sometimes serves as my unofficial assistant.
I am a San Antonio-based wedding and senior photographer who started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. As one of the up-and-coming San Antonio wedding photographers, I am also available to shoot in Austin, Houston and Dallas and the surrounding areas. I am also available for destination weddings worldwide. Ata-Girl Photography Co. offers an amazing wedding photography service that you won’t soon forget. As professional photographer, my sole purpose is to provide you the absolute best photography experience.
I am a professional photographer who enjoys documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. When I’m not photographing a wedding, family or high school senior, I enjoy watching my daughter play softball, hiking, cycling, reading, and listening to Elvis!
The post, Wedding Photographer Traits you WANT!, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.