There are many decisions a couple will face in the beginning stages of their wedding planning—what is the budget, how big will the wedding party be, what flavor of cake will be served, what will the wedding theme be, what first dance song will be played, and the list literally goes on for miles. Miles!
One question to add to this infinite list of wedding planning possibilities (unless a formal, religious ceremony is required inside an actual religious building) is: indoor or outdoor wedding ceremony?
Initially, this may seem like a very simple question. But alas, nothing is that simple in the world of wedding planning. There are many different perspectives to look at this question. Here they are laid out in easy-to-understand pros and cons.
Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding Ceremonies: The Pros and Cons
Cons of Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Off-limits to some religious ceremonies
- Less formal
- Susceptible to inclement weather
- Bugs can be a challenge certain times of year
- Can be dappled lighting or facing the wrong direction for beautiful lighting
- May need more time/money for setup (if no chairs or altar available)
- You may need permits
- There may be restrictions (crowd size, noise, tent stakes, etc.)
- You’ll need a bad weather backup plan
Cons of Indoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Usually low-light situations (harder to photograph)
- Sometimes there are rules imposed (where and where not the photographer can shoot from)
- Can’t compete with the splendor of Mother Nature
- Limited views (windows) and limited space
- There may be décor restrictions imposed by venue management
- Can be more intimate since all your guests are confined to tighter spaces
Pros of Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- You have a beautiful, natural backdrop
- More available, natural light for photographs
- Usually means more seating space to fit more guests
- Photographer can freely move around with fewer restrictions
- Lawn games!
Pros of Indoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Way more control on just about every aspect
- Fewer logistics to worry about
- Your food and confections are more likely to be kept at correct temperatures
- More extensive decorations can be used
- The wind won’t mess with your veil (or hair)
Compromises: Outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception OR an indoor ceremony and a clear tent for the outdoor reception! Or consider an open-air chapel (a personal favorite of mine!)Compromises: Outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception OR an indoor ceremony and a clear tent for the outdoor reception! Or consider an open-air chapel (a personal favorite of mine!)
If you enjoyed this blog post and would like to get your hands on 20 FREE interactive wedding planning tools that every couple needs, please take a moment to access them here.
Let’s “hangout!” I wanna hear about your love story!Schedule a virtual or in-person discovery meetup!
For more options, visit my “Let’s Connect” page.
I am a San Antonio-based wedding photographer and I cater to outdoor-loving couples who prefer to have all the realness captured on their wedding days. I am the wedding photographer for the outdoor adventurers, the romantics, the laid back, the snugglers, and those who wish to capture all their realness.
I am absolutely in love with capturing the kinds of weddings where there are more hugs than handshakes, the dance floor rumbles all night long, and chairs are pretty much rendered useless after dinner. Whiskey bottles are passed around, most of the wedding party has been best-best friends since kindergarten, Grams is likely to lose her shoes and your partner is much more emotional than you are. These kinds of weddings are my jam!
I started Ata-Girl Photography Co., LLC in 2010. I firmly believe that the unique set of circumstances I have faced in life has prepared me to take a personal and genuine interest in my photography clients. I enjoy documenting the important milestones and captivating moments in people’s lives. I love being a part of people’s journey and consider myself privileged to document their legacies.
I am a WPPI-C certified professional, full-time wedding photographer. I specialize in a 10-day image delivery, same-day prints, same-day slideshows, Italian handcrafted wedding albums and I have a mobile meeting space.
When I’m not behind my camera, you can find me hiking, cycling, backpacking, camping, enjoying water sports, listening to music (Elvis and Prince), hunting for arrowheads, reading audiobooks, occasionally eating a few glazed donuts (my only weakness to sweets) and then re-starting my keto diet about every 10 days. The most important things in life are for me to see my two daughters happy and to create a family history my grandparents and grandson would be proud of.
The post, Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding Ceremonies: The Pros and Cons, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co.’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.