There are many decisions a couple will face in the beginning stages of their wedding planning—what is the budget, how big will the wedding party be, what flavor of cake will be served, what will the wedding theme be, what first dance song will be played, and the list literally goes on for miles. Miles!
One question to add to this infinite list of wedding planning possibilities (unless a formal, religious ceremony is required inside an actual religious building) is: indoor or outdoor wedding ceremony?
[Tweet “Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding Ceremonies: The Pros and Cons”]
Initially, this may seem like a very simple question. But alas, nothing is that simple in the world of wedding planning. There are many different perspectives to look at this question. Here they are laid out in easy-to-understand pros and cons.
Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding Ceremonies: The Pros and Cons
Cons of Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Off-limits to some religious ceremonies
- Less formal
- Susceptible to inclement weather
- Bugs can be a challenge certain times of year
- Can be dappled lighting or facing the wrong direction for beautiful lighting
- May need more time/money for setup (if no chairs or altar available)
- You may need permits
- There may be restrictions (crowd size, noise, tent stakes, etc.)
- You’ll need a bad weather backup plan
Cons of Indoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Usually low-light situations (harder to photograph)
- Sometimes there are rules imposed (where and where not the photographer can shoot from)
- Can’t compete with the splendor of Mother Nature
- Limited views (windows) and limited space
- There may be décor restrictions imposed by venue management
- Can be more intimate since all your guests are confined to tighter spaces
Pros of Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- You have a beautiful, natural backdrop
- More available, natural light for photographs
- Usually means more seating space to fit more guests
- Photographer can freely move around with fewer restrictions
- Lawn games!
Pros of Indoor Wedding Ceremony Sites
- Way more control on just about every aspect
- Fewer logistics to worry about
- Your food and confections are more likely to be kept at correct temperatures
- More extensive decorations can be used
- The wind won’t mess with your veil (or hair)
Compromises: Outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception OR an indoor ceremony and a clear tent for the outdoor reception! Or consider an open-air chapel (a personal favorite of mine!)Compromises: Outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception OR an indoor ceremony and a clear tent for the outdoor reception! Or consider an open-air chapel (a personal favorite of mine!)
The post, Indoor vs Outdoor Wedding Ceremonies: The Pros and Cons, first appeared on Ata-Girl Photography Co.’s website and blog. Please feel free to comment here, or share this post with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please email me if you have any questions about this article or want to share a neat idea for a future blog post with me.